A small selection of things rattling around my brain last night:
- What if I can't get my novel exactly where I want it to be?
- What if people hate it, what if it flops, etc etc?
- What if I never make it as a writer?
- What if I have to go back to work -- how will I explain a three-year absence?
- What if I can't focus tomorrow because I'm so tired?
- What if I let my husband down by not using my 'time-off' wisely?
- What if I can't sustain a writing career?
- How will I ever retire on a non-existent pension?
I think I'll stop there; I don't want to bring you all down! What I'd like to know is why people don't ask themselves positive what-ifs in the middle of the night? Imagine this:
- What if I become a best-selling author?
- What if I make enough money to have financial security?
- What if my husband and family are just so proud they can't stop telling me?
- What if I write a book every year, until I choose to stop writing -- if ever I want to?
- What if I believe in myself and have the confidence and focus I need?
You know, strangely, I do feel a whole lot better now!
What are your what-ifs, positive or negative?