Thursday, December 09, 2010

The Web Splash: How I Organised It

Yesterday, I wrote about how and why I came up with my Take On Amazon Web Splash. Today, I'll talk about the logistics of organising it.

(A little explanation for those joining me after the fact: The Hating Game is my first novel, published by small press Prospera Publishing. To help promote it, last week I organised a Web Splash to see if I could hit the Amazon Bestsellers list. It worked!)

First things first: I had to decide what exactly I was trying to accomplish. Although my stated objected was obviously making the Amazon Bestsellers list, my primary objective was getting my book top of mind and helping to spread the word about its release, to 'prime the market' for the upcoming paperback.

Next: timing. Starting the campaign three months before the actual release felt right. I could have an initial big push around the beginning of September, then have another reminder in October and encourage more people to sign up. Come November, with only one month remaining, I could do a final big push. The key here was to slowly build momentum without bombarding people with too much Web Splash information.

Markets: With the timing decided, I needed to think about who I was trying to reach and how I was going to reach them. I had two main target groups: people who would help spread the word (social media contacts) and people who would buy (readers), with a lot of crossover between the two. I planned to reach these groups through:

Blogs - My main point of contact with people who might help spread the word. I posted periodically about the splash and set up a dedicated page on my blog with all the information, along with a sign-up form powered by Google Docs. I chose Google docs because you can copy and paste all the info from the Google spreadsheet right into Excel, which helped me keep track of all those who had signed up and their details (email addresses and blogs).

Facebook - Facebook fan page, friends, family and other writers. In October, I set up a Facebook event page so people who weren't on blogs and/ or Twitter could keep up to date on news, too. I also provided ready-made Facebook status updates for people to post.

Twitter - I posted updates here with links to the blog sign-up page every once in a while, but I didn't get tweeters to 'sign up'. I see Twitter as more of a spontaneous thing; people don't need a formalised process. When they see others retweeting, etc, they might opt to retweet too. Luckily, this worked for me and many people jumped in to help spread the word. The only things I did do ahead of time were provide tweeters with a ready-made status update to cut and paste, and encourage people to use the hash tag #TheHatingGame so people could keep track of what was going on. If you're on Twitter, you can still see how well it worked by searching for #TheHatingGame.

Goodreads - I created an event and send out invitations to all my friends. I didn't get much of a response on Goodreads but it didn't really matter. My point was mainly to get my novel's title out there.

Review websites - I found out what sites reviewed my genre and liaised with them well ahead of time to make sure they knew about my book and what I was trying to accomplish with the Splash. It made sense to ask for their support, as these sites all want to help promote the genre. A big thanks to Chick Lit Reviews, Chick Lit Club, Chick Lit Shorties, Novelicious, Novel Escapes, Trashionista, Girls without a Bookshelf, Books for Teens, Writing in the Bath and One More Page for all their help (if I've missed anyone, I'm sorry!).

Email Lists - Don't forget your family and friends, writing organisations, and basically anyone you think might be interested! I sent out an email to all my contacts two to three days before the Splash. Remember, if you have a Google or Hotmail account, you will be limited to how many emails you send daily. If you have a big contact list, you'll have to stagger your emails.

It's important to give people choice. Some people who participated may not have done so if I only offered the option to blog about it - by integrating more social media, I definitely got more people on board.

Keeping people informed: Using newsletter service Constant Contact, I sent out three emails over the course of three months. One in October after the first wave of people had signed up; one in November, a week before the Splash, with all the relevant information to post; and one after the Splash to say thank you. In each email, I provided links to my Facebook, Goodreads, website and Twitter and in the final email, a link to sign up for my Newsletter.

Phew! I think that's it. Hope that's helpful - feel free to ask any questions!

Coming tomorrow: What I've learned about Amazon!

43 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info, Talli! It's really cool of you to share your secrets with us! Really cool. I'm glad it was such a success for you. Now, what are you going to do for round II???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this info! I had no idea how much work went into making the splash so successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like a ton of work. I bet it was worth it though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXCELLENT information! I didn't realize you were with a small press. I'm with a small publisher, as well, and it has been a fantastic experience. Great job on your web splash! It certainly turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say?? I'm in AWE!!!!!

    It worked, it all worked!! Yay!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more thing to add, you did not beat us over the head with the hating game stick. You were very personable so people just wanted to join in naturally.
    Apart from studying your techniques pple shld study you a bit too(no stalking pple, her hubs won't appreciate it a lot)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just thrilled that I got to be part of it all. Thanks for popping the hood and showing us all how the engine works!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great marketing plan & it obviously worked very well for you. Thanks for telling us how it was done & am looking forward to tomorrow's blog.

    I noticed your book cover recently changed. Is this to further differentiate it from your Willow book?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your efforts were well worth it, having made the Amazon Bestsellers List. That's a commendable achievement you'll always have :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone! I hope the info is helpful... everyone will have their own strategy that works for them - I have to say, none of these ideas are my own. I just took what I saw other authos doing, and tailored it for me.

    It was a lot of work, but I'm happy it turned out so well!

    Joanna - haha! You can stalk me if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT info, Talli! It's no wonder it was such a success!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talli,
    I really appreciate you spelling it all out. I've got a book in contract so I read your words like a sponge. I'm sure I'll be having more questions as I go along.
    Congratulations on such a huge accomplishment, it truly is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job; Thanks for sharing the info! I love how you projected in small doses and went from there! A lot of work, but so worth it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the ideas but with working on getting mine edited n stuff I don't think I'll have time to go that extreme *grin* may pinch a couple of those ideas though

    BirthRight The Arrival, on Amazon 1.1.2011
    www.damselinadirtydress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting Talli, cannot wait to hear what you have learnt about Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fantastic information! Thank you so much. I'm bookmarking it in hopes that I get to use it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing how you got the Websplash organized! It worked great, too--your book was up on the bestseller list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a lot to keep track of! Did you get any sleep in all that time?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. I'm in awe of how much work you got done for the blog splash. Thank you for sharing. The success of the day was well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I'd been that organized!! Next book...

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are awesome at promotion! This is great information. Congrats on all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Grrrrreat job, Talli! Now, how about another project? All of this info belongs in a self-help book. Many could benefit from your experience!!

    Your WV is 'duckling'..this little book could be a duckling to The Hatine Game!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! You did an incredible job! I had NO idea it was so much! Way to go! Thanks for all the info too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome! Thank you for sharing the process of the web splash. You put so much thought into it, I'm glad it payed off! Well done. Give yourself a big pat on the back lol XD XD XD

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's absolutely brilliant Talli, but I'm not surprised. As I read the book I see how quick witted and sharp you are—and it's a wonderful thing. As others said, I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So glad everything worked out so well for you. Thanks for informing us about your promotional efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for all the info about how you did it! You are definitely inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You did an excellent job. I'm glad your hard work and savvy paid off. Of course, having a great product helps too.

    I'm going to pick your brain many years from now, when I finally have a book ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such great information. I'm going to go and save this post. Thank you.
    CD

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for all the info - you're clearly organised and it's obviously rewarding you!~ Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You were very well organized in your promotion and it certainly paid off. I don't know how I missed it beforehand, but how could I help not miss the splash itself--you were all over the place. Impressive!

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great info, you're campaign was very thorough. It's good to see how you made the magic happen.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  33. Whew, that's a lot! The fact that you have a blog made a huge difference I'd imagine! At least all that hard work was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Really interesting to hear how it worked, and a great idea to use every social networking site. I'm still rubbish with Twitter for example, so probably wouldn't have heard the buzz if you'd confined your updates to there.

    Hope sales continue to rise :o)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome post. It shows just how much hard work goes into promoting a book, and that it can work!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, you're so organized and deserve to do really well. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Most interesting Talli. so much thought and preparation. Good luck.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great guidelines! I actually put this is my 'crucial posts' doc, as I know there will be a time I want to refer to the specifics, rather than just say 'this is fantastic'.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for sharing your approach, Talli! That's what makes you so awesome - your willingness to share information!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have to say I'm quite impressed but from what I saw that day you were on EVERYONES blog. That's such wonderful support and I'm glad to see that there is such a strong community sense here in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awesome. You had some great numbers for the blogsplash too. Didn't you get like 150 blogs to participate?

    Having fewer followers, I didn't do as hot on my blogsplash, only 6 participated I think, but I did get 150 people on Facebook to hook me up with the Facebooksplash and post my book cover as their profile pic. It really helped get the word out!

    It's funny, I've seen people do it as a contest (post my cover/blurb and win something) and not many people will do it. I just asked in status updates (and forced close family and friends) and people were happy to do it just to help out. It was great!

    Thanks again!

    Karly
    www.karlykirkpatrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is the proof that good promotion takes tons of time, a lot of thinking outside the box, and a huge network of friends. You did a great job working this out.

    ReplyDelete

Coffee and wine for all!