I'm a child of the Eighties and man oh man, did that decade rock the fashion world! Talking to my step-daughter yesterday about the fashions of yesteryear stirred up some long-lost memories of that golden time --- perfect for today's post!
1. Jelly shoes. I loved my baby-blue jelly shoes! The only problem was that the heel wasn't closed off so if you walked on gravel you'd get loads of little pebbles stuck inside. If you've ever worn a pair, you'll know what I mean.
2. Florescent socks. Florescent anything! I had a pair of bright yellow florescent socks. You could see me coming for miles.
3. Shoulder pads. In jumpers, blazers, T-shirts... basically, everything had shoulder pads. They're making a return here in London!
4. Pinstripe jeans. The darker the jeans the better, with a thin pinstripe running through. The height of cool.
5. Stirrup pants! Oh yeah! These make me laugh every time I think about them. I had a baby-blue (yes, I liked baby-blue) pair with a big seam running down the front.
6. Guess Jeans. If you had a pair of these along with a Benetton rugby shirt, I wanted to kill you. I longed for both.
7. Friendship pins. We used to wear these on the laces of our trainers.
8. Banana clip and bangs hairsprayed to within an inch of their life. I think the most important fashion accessory of the 80s was hairspray --the stronger the better. You'd banana clip your hair back, then curl half your bangs (fringe) up and then other half down. Fab!
9. Legwarmers. You can't talk about the 80s without mentioning leg-warmers. I had a pair in -- you guessed it -- baby blue!
10. Crimped hair. Being hair-obsessed, of course I had a crimping iron to make my hair wonderfully crimped. I shudder now just thinking about it!
What hideous fashions have you indulged in?