Thursday, April 03, 2014

What I Did on Holiday

Hello! I'm back! I'm forty!

I have to say that so far, the forties have been strikingly similar to the thirties. Which can only be a good thing, since I loved my thirties.

We had a great time in the Cotswolds. Although the weather could have been a tad more spring-like, we were fairly fortunate in our outings, managing to dodge hail and rain and wind. Our cottage was cosy with plenty of doors for Baby TR to bang (don't tell the owner, but he banged one so much, he broke the ancient latch - oops!). Broadway, the small village where we stayed, was chock full of character and lovely little cafes and shops. By the end of the week, we were on a first-name basis with our regular breakfast spot and pub. All in all, it was a lovely holiday and a great way to ring in the new decade.

Back in the smoggy city -- seriously, who knew dust from the Sahara could make its way to London? -- I've been busy tearing into my manuscript and starting on the second draft, which is already requiring a lot of rewriting . . . but I think I'm on the right track. I'm working hard to get as much done as I can, because next week is the London Book Fair! I'll be meeting Jessica Bell and others on Sunday, dining with my lovely author-friend Mel Sherratt on Monday, attending an Amazon Publishing cocktail party of Tuesday . . . and I think I'm leaving out something, too! It's going to be crazy but fun.

I'll be back next Thursday with a full report, but until then, I leave you with some photos from our vacation.

A bridge over the River Windrush in Bournton-on-Water.

Lord of the Manor (aka Baby TR) in Sudeley Castle, Winchcombe.

The back garden of our cottage.

Looking out onto the Cotswolds hills from Hidcote Garden.

The best name for butter ever!

Baby TR's new friends.
Sudeley Castle.


Broadway Tower,

Bendy baby!


See you next week!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Tali, they bring back our Cotswold holiday so clearly! I loved those little bridges over the river that ran alongside the street, and you were lucky to see it at a time when tourists were few and far between! Enjoy all the bookish stuff at the London Fair and thrash that second draft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Talli - well you hit the right day - C for Cotswolds - what a glorious time you had .. and you did so much - that's lovely ... lots of growing for baby TR while his tired happy parents tore around after him. Love the costume!

    Welcome back yes to Sahara dust .. it usually fertilises the Atlantic and then the Brazilian Rain Forest .. so as soon as it turns tail the better .. my car needs a wash!!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute and happy baby! Looks like a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos! I think I need to take a Cotswolds holiday!

    Have fun with Jessica and everyone next week! Sadly, I won't be able to make it, but hopefully another time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks a fab place to visit and stay! Added to my list of places to go. See you on Sunday! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Planning a day trip now (we live so close)! Gorgeous photos of your happy band. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome places you visited! Your son looks all regal. Enjoy meeting up with Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! So now you can convincingly set a story in the Cotswolds?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been to Cotswold! It looks to be a beautiful place to visit next! I'm looking forward to seeing you next week, Talli! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Lord Of The Manor looks the part!

    It looks like a beautiful area to be in, Talli! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy fortieth Tallie! You're right - you're only as old as you feel. I love reading books set in the Cotswolds. So cozy! Glad you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed your holiday; I'm from the Cotswolds and I have to agree that they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to live there it looks gorgeous. That little cottage just looks perfect and look how your boy has grown,I bet you can't remember life without him now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The last picture is my favorite. You always attend the most amazing conferences. You are fortunate to be surrounded by culture, history and beauty. Would make any writer swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos, especially that last one!

    ReplyDelete

Coffee and wine for all!