Nothing brings yourself into sharper focus than having a baby. In the past three months, amidst the inevitable fatigue and the millionth nappy change, I've learned a lot! So, in no particular order, here are my revelations.
- I need to write. Even if I'm tired or covered in spit-up, writing has become a part of me.
- Sadly, I am not one of those cool, multi-tasking writerly types who can pen their tomes from the comfort of their sofa. Nope, I need a desk, a chair, and no telly within easy reach! Hence, my new makeshift office.
|I think the word is 'basic'!|
- Crying babies do not enhance the creative process (surprising, I know!).
- Despite my more limited writing time, I'm still capable of wasting as much time on the Internet. Sigh!
- Nappies never fully contain explosive poos. I believe this is a market gap and I shall soon be developing my duct-tape diaper design. Watch for it at a Tesco near you!
- You can fall asleep while still rocking the baby's basket. Looks like I possess the multi-tasking ability after all.
- There's nothing better than your baby's morning smile. Awwwwww!
And in other news, writer DJ Kirkby has a new book out called Special Deliveries. It's a lovely collection of stories from the maternity unit. If you enjoy Call the Midwife or One Born Every Minute, you'll definitely enjoy it, too.
What's something you've learned recently?
Have a great week, everyone!